How do I take my bike tire off?
Pry under the bead of the tire with one of the tire levers and hook it to a spoke. Move over about 4 to 6 in. and insert the other tire lever. Pry it down and then slide it along the rim to release the tire.
What tools do you need to change a bike tire?
- Repair stand (optional, makes the work a lot easier)
- Tire levers such as the TL-1.2, TL-4.2, TL-5, TL-6.2, or a multi-tool that incorporates a tire lever.
- Patch Kit such as the GP-2 or VP-1.
- Air pump: either a floor or hand pump.
- Wrench for non-quick-release type wheels that use outer axle nuts.
What can you use instead of tire levers?
Misplaced tyre lever – alternatives?
- Carve your own tire lever out of wood. (Did not try this, have no wood available)
- Use the handle of a spoon. (Didn’t work, spoon bent and scratched rim tape)
- Carve your own out of the plastic handle of a knife. (Worked, but kinda ruined handle of knife and could be dangerous)