Can you take the back wheel off a bike?
We have good news: Anyone can remove and install a rear wheel and it won’t affect the shifting or the chain. And if you work carefully, you won’t have to touch that greasy drivetrain either. Here’s how it’s done on any bicycle with derailleurs, from road bikes, to mountain bikes and any 2-wheelers in between.
What tools do you need to change a bike tire?
- Repair stand (optional, makes the work a lot easier)
- Tire levers such as the TL-1.2, TL-4.2, TL-5, TL-6.2, or a multi-tool that incorporates a tire lever.
- Patch Kit such as the GP-2 or VP-1.
- Air pump: either a floor or hand pump.
- Wrench for non-quick-release type wheels that use outer axle nuts.